USA Communications College Scholarship Program
College Scholarship Program – $500 available to High School Seniors
USA Communications of Shellsburg supports the continuing education of the high school seniors whose parents are a member of Farmers Mutual Telephone Cooperative of Shellsburg and have their phone service in the Shellsburg, Benton Township, Urbana or Alburnett exchange.
- be a graduating high school senior;
- receive his/her local telephone service from USA Communications in the following communities/prefixes: Shellsburg – 436, Benton Township – 453, Urbana – 443 or Alburnett – 842; and
- successfully complete the first semester in an accredited two-year or four-year college or university, or vocational- technical school.
USA Communication scholarships will be awarded to deserving students whose academic credentials fall within an average to above-average range.
How to Apply
- Complete the scholarship application in full.
- Prepare a typed 300-word essay that addresses the following:
– explain why the services provided by USA Communications are important to you and/or members of your family; and
– tell us where you plan to work and how you plan to give back to your community once you start your career
- Have a high school teacher or counselor complete the Educator’s Recommendation form. A link to the form is at the bottom of this page. Recommendations must be sent in a sealed envelope from the letters’ author.
- Submit one letter of recommendation from a local community leader, elected official or local business representative. Recommendations must be sent in a sealed envelope from the letter’s author.
- Include your most recent grade transcript (all seven semesters must be included.)
- If available, include test scores and/or class rank with the transcript.
- $500.00 scholarships will be awarded in May 2018 to a maximum of two students in each of our four telephone exchanges.
- Applications will be reviewed by the Farmers Mutual Telephone Cooperative Board of Directors.
- Winners will be notified by mail in April 2018.
- Scholarships will be awarded on a one-time basis and will not be renewable.
- Award will be paid upon proof of second-semester registration at an institute of higher education, and will be issued in January 2019.
- Scholarship will be awarded without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex or disability.
- Incomplete applications or non-typed essays will not be considered.
Make sure to
- Include a completed application form
- Include a transcript (all 7 semesters) and any test scores and/or class ranking.
- Include a 300-word essay.
- Include an Educator’s Recommendation.
- Include a letter of recommendation from a local community leader, elected official or local business representative.
- Collect all documents and mail in one envelope addressed to:
PO Box 389
Shellsburg, IA 52332
- Postmark your entry by April 1, 2018.